The compose message screen allows you to compose and send e-mail. The To: field will contain the email address of the recipient of your message, the Cc: field the people that will receive a carbon copy of the message, and the Bcc: field the people that will receive a blind carbon copy of the message. You can select the account to use to send the e-mail from the 'From' drop down menu (if you have configured additional profiles). Your message will be written in the text area. Multiple recipients must be separated by commas, not spaces.
- To send a message click 'Send'.
- To save a draft copy of the message to continue working on it later, click 'Save Draft'. Note that even if your message has been previously saved as a draft, you will need to save it again if you do not send it. If you do not save or send a draft message, it will be lost.
- To search for recipients in public directories, click 'Directory'.
- To check the spelling of your message, select the message language and click 'Spell Check'.
- To search for recipients in your address book, click the 'To:', 'Cc:' or 'Bcc:' links.
- To add or change your message stationery, select it from the drop down menu and click 'Add Stationery'.
- To add your signature, select it from the drop down menu and click 'Add Signature'. This should be done prior to composing your message since the signature is added to the beginning of the message text.
- To switch from the html editor to the plain text editor, click 'Text Editor'. If you are not using Internet Explorer 5.5 or later, you should set your preferences in the configuration to not use the HTML editor.
- To switch the text editor to the html editor, click 'HTML Editor'. This option is only for Internet Explorer 5.5 and later.
- To edit the options for this message, click 'Options'. These options include importance, spam protection, delivery receipts, and more.
- To add or remove attachments, click 'Attach(s)'. You may attach multiple files to your message, however, there is a limit to the total size of the attachment. You can send attachments up to 20MB.
Compose E-mail Options
This screen allows you to set options for the specific message that you are currently composing.
- Use the popdown menu to change the importance of a message. To set the default for this for all messages, click 'Configuration' on the left side of the window and then click 'General Options'.
- Use the popdown menu to change the sensitivity of a message. To set the default for this for all messages, click 'Configuration' on the left side of the window and then click 'General Options'.
- Use the popdown menu to change the character set of a message. To set the default for this for all messages, click 'Configuration' on the left side of the window and then click 'General Options'.
- To set a different reply to address, enter it in the space provided. To set an optional default for this for all messages, click 'Configuration' on the left side of the window and then click 'General Options'.
- To use email address protection, select the desired option. The default is 'Don't protect my address'.
- 'Protect my address so only the recipient of this mail can reply to it.' allows you to send messages to recipients that cannot be used by anyone else. For example, you could use this option to send mail to someone whom you suspect might share email addresses with others including spammers.
- 'Protect my address so it automatically expires' allows you to send your message with a reply to address that expires in a pre-defined time period. You can select an expiration time from minutes to years. Examples of when to use this might be registration or posts to forums and online purchases where you would want the merchant to be able to contact you only for a limited time.
- To save a copy of this message in the 'Sent Items' folder, check the 'Add this message to Sent Items' checkbox.
- If you would like to know when the message has been delivered, check the 'Request a delivery receipt for this message' checkbox.
- If you would like to know when the message has been read, check the 'Request a read receipt for this message' checkbox.
- To save your options and return to your message, click 'OK'.